Monday, October 23, 2006

Statesman endorses Tom Luna

So. What's your take on the Statesman endorsement of Tom Luna? Since I had a letter to the editor published this weekend, the Statesman rules state that I cannot submit any more letters for a while. Mr. Luna obviously has different speech writers and advisors (political "handlers"?) since his last election bid, but I am suspicious of his somewhat more moderate (less hateful toward teachers, anyway) verbiage. I have met Jana Jones and visited with her at length about what I see on a day-to-day basis as a public school teacher. She has the necessary experience and vision to help us in our endeavors. But for some reason, she is just not coming across as the strong candidate. Is it necessary in Idaho for a successful candidate to present a swaggering pompous attitude (it worked for Steve Symms, and it might work for Otter and Sali as well....ouch)? Say it ain't so. It's time for well thought out positions and solutions to the problems we face, not personality cults. Cynthia "Fawnsbee" Kozlowski

I hope this posts OK - I am familiar with blogger, but not this particular format.

2 comments:

dburwell said...

I was very disappointed with the Statesman endorsement. I wonder if they endorsed him because they were planning on endorsing Grant, Brady, LaRocco and other Democrats and felt the need to choose at least one Republican? Luna will, in my opinion, be a disaster for Idaho education.

cynthia said...

Yes, thank you. I never considered that the Statesman endorsements would be that well thought out in terms of their own idea of "balance." So the future of public education is a throw-away? I would invite the Statesman editorial board to come visit my classroom and choose which children are expendable.

Some of us remember what Tom Luna was saying in his last campaign. I do not trust him. He is still the same anti-teacher and anti-public school ignorant person that he has always been.